Saturday, October 13, 2012

I'm So Glad That I'm Paying Thousands Of Dollars For My Dance Education

"The body was designed to move and movement is the great elixir of life. Where there is lack of movement life becomes stagnant and stale. Human life is a mind/body event. Simply put, what you think affects your body and what you do with your body affects your thinking. So if you wish to improve or change the output of this continuum you are best served by addressing both."




Last week, the new Ballroom Dance department director ( hows that for a job title!? ) came and paid us a surprise visit during practice last week. We were in the middle of practicing our foxtrot to Michael Buble when he came. His visit was to watch and critique, and at first I thought that I might just have a dramatic breakdown, right there. There would be nothing more scary to me than having the Ballroom single me out and address everything wrong that I was doing.

But to my genuine and very happy surprise, it was nothing like that at all! He critiqued as a group, and even though he was very picky about the little details ( that, lets face us, make a dance great ) I learned so much, and came to love the piece even more.

The one thing, that I walked away from the class with was something that he said in the middle of his critique. He had just stopped us, after we did a turn to face the audience, and he said there is no life in your movement! I want to see life and energy in your movements! That is something that I especially love about dance. There is always a lesson to be learned that can be applied to both life and dancing. Life is always going to be more fun when you put some energy in your movements. Paul explained to us that when we dance, our movements must emanate from your core ( the torso of your body - a modern dance method ) and that from the core the energy must flow through your body. Thus creating the vision that the dance and the dance is fuller and more effective to the eye. I must say, it's an attractive idea.


ps.... our first performance is on Monday night. Wish us luck, wont you!?


pss.... I desperately want this:



its called a Brooklyn cowl. I'm in love with it


psss.... I bought this today:


I'm sooo thankful stripes are back in style





No comments:

Post a Comment