Thursday, August 2, 2012

about being a mom

I've been thinking a lot about mom's as of late. And I've been especially thinking about what kind of mom I want to be when I grow up. It will be a really long time before I even take into consideration being a mother. But, this is something I've been thinking about a lot.

I've known some really wonderful mothers through out my life. I think of my best friends mother, who is practically my biological mother, except, she didn't birth me or raise me, but she still treats me like a daughter. And I still treat her like a mom. I call her when I need advice ( or lets be honest - to cry ) I've been guilty more than once of sleeping on her couch, and eating the food in her fridge, without actually asking for permission. She gives great hugs, and she's fun to laugh with. And I love her just like a daughter would love her mother.

I'm one of those wanna be sociologists, who takes a social situation and dissects it down to the very last detail. I want to know it all, so I observe, I produce theories. And from there I observe more and create more theories.

There is a theory that I have. A theory that is all my own. I've never done official research on it. I haven't read a book, that states that this fact is true. But I have a theory.

When I read about, or see many successful people ( and I'm lucky to know so many successful people ) I wonder how their parents raised them. What did their parents to while raising them to produce a confident, hard working, happy adult?

My theory, is that these confident adults were raised in a house hold, where their parents were confident. Their parents weren't afraid to use big words, and make their kids look them up in a dictionary when they were confused. Their parents were the kind of parents that sat down with their kids to help them with their homework, instead of leaving them to do it themselves. Their parents supported, encouraged, and lifted up without fail. They raised their children with such a flair that their child saw the stability in their life style and ran with it. Their parents loved each other, and themselves, and passed that legacy on to their children. They believed in family pictures and eating dinner together. They taught their children how to be healthy, and how to create a functional life style.

And with all of this - the child took all that love and knowledge and stability and they ran with it. They knew that they would make a beautiful life on their own, and so they went for it.

I hope that I'm the kind of mother that reads to their child on a regular basis, and becomes their study buddy when they are needing a little extra help the night before the test. I hope that I'm the kind of mom that knows when to give her child cookies and when to give carrot sticks when they get home from school. I'm hoping that I'm the kind of mom that my kids can come to for hope and advice. The kind of mom that makes a beautiful home, not just by cleaning it, but my putting up sweet family photos and creating an atmosphere that makes my kids want to come home. I hope I'm the kind of mother that lets her child know that they can do whatever they set their minds to do, because lifes possibilities are endless. I hope I teach my sons how to get the car door on a date, and I hope I teach my daughters to love their bodies instead of hate their mirror image, like I, and the rest of society tend to do. I hope I raise confident and happy kids, because I hope that I learn to be happy and confident as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment